I have watched this show for the past month or so that it has been on - I have figured it all out, sm Posted: May 19th, 2011 - 5:51 pm In Reply to: I just caught the first episode of Extreme Couponing, - Backwards Typist
First of all, they usually all start out with a life changing event, i.e. loss of job, addition to the family that is hard to afford, etc. There are forced into a situation where buying groceries because hard to do and they do have an OCD component that forces them to stock pile food/hoard. They buy so many of one item at a time because the coupon will expire and they look at those coupons as money. You would not throw away money that you are not using, so they feel as though they need to use it before it expires, thus buying 50 bottles of mustard. Then this stock pile of food, etc. is like a security blanket to them. Once the situation does not call for them to need such a 'security blanket' anymore, they can not stop because they are getting a 'high' doing it. Listen to their descriptions of how they feel at check out. The adrenaline starts flowing and they get nervous and anxious and then a high feeling when they pay nearly nothing. Their bodies are releasing endorphines. It is just like people who are addicted to gambling, sex, etc.
I also saw a story on the news the other day about the show. They said that this is the exception to the rule. It is really pretty rare that this actually happens. Also, these few people out here doing this are driving up prices and forcing less coupons, as stores and manufactors are losing money when they do this, which in turns makes it worse for the rest of us who use coupons in an appopriate fashion.
Finally, yes, I agree and have told my husband that these people are not buying fresh food and vegtables, rarely any meat, etc. which make up the majority of my shopping list. I do occasionally cook prepackaged foods and frozen food, as there are days that I am too tired or pressed for time, but the majority of the time, I do cook from scratch and make recipes with lots of fresh vetables, herbs, etc. In fact my kids are spoiled in the fact that their mom cooks everything from scratch, makes fresh pasta, breads, etc. But on the other hand, my kids know how to cook and make a well balanced meal.
Post A Reply Reply By Email Options
Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)
Latest Messages Posted
- Lee Perfect Transcription...really?
- Newbies, know it alls, and constant complainers
- Resigned Thursday Night....
- Recommendations for new sewing machine - sm
- Patient First health insurance
- You don't have a right to know everything
- Best school and computer?
- Obamacare Architect Gruber Ties Subsidies to State-Based Exchanges
- been gone from MM for 3 months
- Paul Ryan wants everyone to think that he's
- Is Landmark still hiring??
- GI Endocrinology..please see message
- Rheum/Osteoporosis Transcriber Wanted
- Obamacare: Well now, isn't this an interesting bit of phrasing from the Supreme Court.
- dictated, "heart rate to blood pressure product is 29, 920." I'm not sure
- has anyone made the transition or considered
- C-PHONE WITH FOOT PEDAL AND HEADSET FOR SALE
- IC Medical Transcriptionist
- In the market for a new computer
- Medical Transcriptionist's Superpackage for Voice Recognition
- In-House PT Medical Transcriptionist Position
- East MT - what's been going on with the coder program lately?
- No worries about speech recognition taking our jobs
- Set up. Set up.
- South African Doctor
- Average LPH for TTS accounts?? Trying to decide
- Is anyone making a living anymore?
- TTS Bereavement Policy?
- FIASCO is at it again
- Nice doctor
- Well, I have had the usual late night line count crushing jobs.
- Don't get too proficient!
- Dang, the doctors are spelling a lot of words tonight!
- OOW question
- Review of Systems
- Do you work at SoftScript?
- Sitting here crying, can hardly see thru tears.
- Alternative for doctors to dictate...
- is it GCFC 1 with regard to mobility level in disability?
- book of style 3rd edition
- Am I young enough to start a new career? (37)
- Dementia due to _____ myopathy
- "Garden" test
- question for those who use a laptop...
- So, take a guess. What is the community organizer going to do (sm)
- Interesting thought re audits, PM, firings, and quitting
- MTs...there is light in another home position
- Five months in & I got my first 'corrective action' today